Thread: Question on a lot of peoples mind

I'm just here so I don't get fined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on a lot of peoples mind

Speaking for my fellow gamers I'll ask the question...

Was this site/brand/community brought back for nostalgia or is there actually going to be some competition going on here? If it is for nostalgia would anyone consider just putting it to bed because people like myself had accepted the fact that TWL was dead. Then when it came back everyone got excited again and to see it like this is like watching my old dog before we had to make the tough choice. Had some really great memories here and it's a damn shame to see it in such a state

I checked the twitter yesterday and there was a post from January saying 'Lots in store for TWL in 2017.'.....We're entering the 4th month of 2017 and nothing at all. Post before that was May 2016, catch my drift?

It's been a while since I've posted but a straight forward answer would be much appreciated.

Administrator
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Breen View Post

Was this site/brand/community brought back for nostalgia or is there actually going to be some competition going on here? If it is for nostalgia would anyone consider just putting it to bed because people like myself had accepted the fact that TWL was dead. Then when it came back everyone got excited again and to see it like this is like watching my old dog before we had to make the tough choice. Had some really great memories here and it's a damn shame to see it in such a state

I checked the twitter yesterday and there was a post from January saying 'Lots in store for TWL in 2017.'.....We're entering the 4th month of 2017 and nothing at all. Post before that was May 2016, catch my drift?

It's been a while since I've posted but a straight forward answer would be much appreciated.
    Straight forward answer is no, we did not bring it back for nastalgia reasons. In fact, the AA:PG community is in their final week of a 10 week league right now. While it is not being done in a traditional way, I encourage you to visit the America's Army forums and check out what has been going on.

Competition will not always be handled the way it is being done right now and there will be an actual script in the end. We are currently working through the numerous aspects of everything. While we work through everything, we are putting up competitions through the forums one at a time. I hope I have been able to answer your questions appropriately.

Administrator
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Breen View Post

As Flic said, no, it was not brought back for the sake of nostalgia.

Right now there are a handful of people who are putting in a few hours a week working on mostly backend stuff. For example, there are about 2,500 posts in the admin forums that the public can't see and another 2-3k in the upper admin forums. Obviously, those aren't measures of success by any means, but I think it does give you a better idea of what's going on "behind the scenes".

The plan right now is to eventually run ladders, leagues, and tournaments similar to what we did on the old site. The shortfall right now is the software to do it. We experimented with a few ready-made solutions out there but they didn't offer the functionality we wanted, so we're back to looking at custom systems. That said, I'm not sure replicating the old TWL site is the best option moving forward.

A few people wanted to run an AA league out of the forums, so we gave them the access and they ran with it. 18 teams participated and they played a 9-week season, which went very well. They're currently setting things up to run another league.

If you have an idea then let us know. We're open to using the site for anything the gaming community wants until we have a more permanent competition system in place.
    Last edited by RedBeard; 03-26-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
    As Flic said, no, it was not brought back for the sake of nostalgia.

Right now there are a handful of people who are putting in a few hours a week working on mostly backend stuff. For example, there are about 2,500 posts in the admin forums that the public can't see and another 2-3k in the upper admin forums. Obviously, those aren't measures of success by any means, but I think it does give you a better idea of what's going on "behind the scenes".

The plan right now is to eventually run ladders, leagues, and tournaments similar to what we did on the old site. The shortfall right now is the software to do it. We experimented with a few ready-made solutions out there but they didn't offer the functionality we wanted, so we're back to looking at custom systems. That said, I'm not sure replicating the old TWL site is the best option moving forward.

A few people wanted to run an AA league out of the forums, so we gave them the access and they ran with it. 18 teams participated and they played a 9-week season, which went very well. They're currently setting things up to run another league.

If you have an idea then let us know. We're open to using the site for anything the gaming community wants until we have a more permanent competition system in place.
    Your absolutely right, that in no means measures success. Not being a downer here just the facts is all. Not sure why people do this but this isn't the only site thats only purpose is AAPG competition. This one is for EU and fgnleague.com is for NA. I was just asking because I cared. I (along with some friends) hosted TWL for a night of gaming, we opened our servers and our wallets (donated cash prizes ect) to build up some steam for the comeback and it was all for not. It's been well over a year since we did that and from reading your response TWL has nothing going on. I went through the forums after reading your reply and was quite disappointed with what I found. There are posts from staff saying scripts were purchased, software coming ect...Thats where I believe you lost your audience. The promise to return something to its former glory.

I do appreciate your replies. That being said, what you typed and the truth of it seem to be two different things.

GLHF

Administrator
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reality is that the event we hosted about year ago was premature. A few volunteers wanted to run an event, so we let them (and would again today). All of the donations that night went back out in the form of giveaways and prizes, we (TWL) didn't keep anything.

The senior admin team that was around a year ago has mostly turned over. The team responsible for product development ultimately failed and left the organization. I would be happy to discuss that more in depth in a non-public forum. That means we're now in a position to out-source, or purchase, the next solution.

Myself and Flic took this over a few months ago and are working on getting it back on track.

We did purchase some scripts, and to be honest, they're awful. We even had one up on the site for a while. We may put one of them back up as a temporary solution, but TBD.

Edit: Also, this site's purpose isn't just AA competition. That just happened to be what a few volunteers wanted to run. If somebody came to us right now and wanted to run events for [insert game X] then we'd be glad to support it.
    Last edited by RedBeard; 04-01-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, fgnleague.com is having the same issue. The people running the show want others to come along and host leagues under there brand to make the more active and/or popular. What kind of software do you guys use for league play/tournaments? I can't seem to find anything anywhere

Administrator
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    TWL ran that way for a long time - a core group of people maintained the site and handled the sponsorships, external contracts, etc. while the rest of the site ran on volunteers. Anybody could come along and use the site's league/ladder/tournament software to run their own competition(s) in any game (for the most part). It wasn't centrally managed by the people who actually owned the site/LLC. Once we have a longer term software solution, we may resume that model. Until then, we're open to supporting any community initiative.

As for what we are using right now - nothing. The few scripts we installed and ran on the site didn't come close to what we were looking for so we took them down.

The script the original TWL used is long gone (it was custom built and exclusive to TWL).

If people are looking for what the old TWL offered, and I think they are, then we will almost certainly have to go with a custom solution (maybe open sourced?). That's the avenue we are going down right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I appreciate your time RedBeard. You've been very transparent with me and I appreciate that. Check your DM

Thread Information