Thread: The Division

Administrator
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Division

Did anybody else get a PC Beta Key for this one?

Anti-Cheat Director
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Got mine today........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been extended until Tuesday.

Administrator
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been playing it some, but haven't spent too much time in the Dark Zone.

Definitely more of an RPG than an FPS.

Consultant
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my key today but haven't been home all day to check it out. Hopefully later tonight

Public Relations
    TWL Staff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have the link to try and get a beta key again?
    "Inevitability Mr. Anderson. Without purpose there is no reason to exist... Your death is inevitable."

E . ` ' / . F Your tears fuel me. ≡√≡

Administrator
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So here are my thoughts on it after playing 12 hours or so.

First and foremost, its an RPG not an FPS. That shouldn't be a surprise since the game is marketed as an RPG, but its important to point that out up front. All of the action occurs in over the shoulder third person.

The whole thing (from what I saw) takes place in a open-world city (New York). There are a few buildings you can enter, tunnels, sewers, etc.

There are two main sections in the game (the two sections are completely separate so you can't accidentally wander into one). One section is PvE/Co-Op/Story and the other is a mix of PvP and PvE (called the "Dark Zone"). The Dark Zone is a free-for-fall. You enter the section as a blue and as soon as you do significant damage to another player you'll turn red (the game calls it "rogue"). Once you turn red then you're free game for anyone to kill you without turning red themselves. After a while (roughly 2-3 minutes), you'll turn blue again.

So why attack other players? In the Dark Zone there are NPCs and mini-bosses that drop better stuff than you can find in the other section (along with normal items). However, you can't keep anything you loot in the Dark Zone until you get it to an extraction point. If you die before you can "extract" it, then it can be looted from your body by anybody. So you kill things, get the stuff they drop, and then try to get it to an extraction point without getting killed. If you can extract it, then it'll appear in your "stash" (or bank if you're used to that term) when you get back to your base and then you'll be able to equip and use it (or sell/deconstruct it for crafting materials).

The extraction points are interesting (there were 3-4 in the beta). You run up to a helipad, fire a flare, and then wait 80 seconds or so for the helicopter to show up and lower a rope. Once the helicopter shows up then you have to run out in to the open and attach your bag of items to the rope for extraction. Other players can also use your helicopter to extract stuff. This is the point where you are most likely to be killed if someone (or a group) are going to try and take your stuff.

The items you enter the "Dark Zone" with are non-lootable. Therefore, you won't lose anything you bring with you if you die, just the new stuff you've acquired since your last extraction.

There's crafting, missions, weapon modifications, skills, talents, leveling, etc. but the majority of it was turned off for the beta so I don't have much input to provide.

Overall, it was an interesting idea that I have not played before. The game seemed smooth (I personally didn't have any issues), but the movement and cover system weren't intuitive to me. Maybe if you've played a lot of "R6: Vegas" or "Gears of War" it'll feel more natural. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this one on release or not. It's an original idea (to me) but I'm not sure how long the game will last since the PvP system is open-world and dependent upon other players to be around.

I know I've left some stuff out, so feel free to add more.
    Last edited by RedBeard; 02-01-2016 at 04:39 AM.

Consultant
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the game today after watching some streams and hearing about it from friends who are playing it.

I'm just here so I don't get fined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought it, played it non-stop for 2 weeks (super addicting trying to upgrade everything) and max leveled. Got all the best stuff in the PVE zone and entered the dark zone. Ran around leveling up in the darkzone (all the while people trying to kill you/successfully killing you) got to level 30 to unlock new gear only to find it not that great/worse than the gear I already acquired. Got on the next day to find 'gangs' of level 50+ guys running around wrecking everyone. Died a few times then figured I'd try again later. Same thing happened over and over for hours so I shut it down for the night. Next few days were pretty much the same so I stopped playing and haven't played since. Thought I saw a DLC for it but meh, game got super boring/annoying quick.

Consultant
    Senior Staff
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Breen View Post
    Bought it, played it non-stop for 2 weeks (super addicting trying to upgrade everything) and max leveled. Got all the best stuff in the PVE zone and entered the dark zone. Ran around leveling up in the darkzone (all the while people trying to kill you/successfully killing you) got to level 30 to unlock new gear only to find it not that great/worse than the gear I already acquired. Got on the next day to find 'gangs' of level 50+ guys running around wrecking everyone. Died a few times then figured I'd try again later. Same thing happened over and over for hours so I shut it down for the night. Next few days were pretty much the same so I stopped playing and haven't played since. Thought I saw a DLC for it but meh, game got super boring/annoying quick.
    I'd have to agree with you, and my experience was very much the same. Game got very repetitive, and I lost interest. Waste of $80...

Looking forward to Overwatch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information